Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's a Recession!

Everyone knows that the world is going through a recession. Its no secret. People do not have disposable income like they previously had and jobs are being lost left right and center. So those of you who have a job consider yourselves lucky. Those of you who are looking for jobs - the competition is tough... I say all this because I JUST had someone walk up to my desk and ask for an application - Now please allow me to set the scene.

I work in a luxury hotel catering to the top end market; don't get me wrong. We do not discriminate, if you can afford our prices you are more than welcome to come. - So the lobby marble floors exquisite decor inside, original artwork and Beethoven's 'Für Elise' playing in the lobby - Interrupted by a voice coming down the corridor saying 'Gur um wakin to da lobby nawh' TRANSLATION "Girl, I'm walking to the lobby now". As soon as I heard this I immediately looked up as this is extremely out of place. Then I saw a glimpse of her. OH MY GOSH. - I could have sworn I was being set up. I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and say 'You've been PUNKED!' - But no this was for real.

She approached My desk smacking on pink bubble gum, blowing a bubble every few chews... The *POPS* echoed in the lobby each time. She had on Pink heals, black leggins and a pink and black sleeve - less shirt - Clearly not appropriate attire for this establishment; Still on the phone I asked "Can I help you?" She mashed up her face as if i was being rude, and rolled her eyes and said "Hang on." - So I waited approx 30 seconds until she finished her call. "Excuse me - Can I have an application." - I choked. - This ghetto hood rat, bad mannered, gum popping, rude, ignorant sloppy hoe wants a what? - An application? - I obliged and gave it to her; just for kicks and giggles. "Out of curiosity what position are you looking for?" I asked. - "I Dunno... Front of House i guess. I Like to 'Conversate' with people." - Now by now I still waiting for someone to say You've been PUNKED. But nope not yet. - I told her I am one of the people to hire people for front of house. I asked her for her name and told her I will look out for her application. In reality - I asked her so I can put it in the shredder when it comes across the desk.

FOLKS - I say all of this to say...If you are looking for a job; First impressions mean everything. If going to get an application, Be presentable. A suit is not always necessary at this stage but 'Smart Casual' attire is recommended. If called back for an interview a Suit is a must. Of course it depends where you are applying. If you are a construction worker i am almost sure a suite is not needed for an interview. But still... LOOK DECENT. Use good English and good grammar. And for Fuck sake... Speak English. Not this ghetto slang stuff. I would get into the whole interview process... but That could take all day... But in short... Appearance; resume & professionalism is what i look at in potential candidates... Make sure you have them all and they are on point when going for a job.

Please & Thanks,

Signed,

Davon

P.S. - Follow me on twitter @davon_a & re post!

2 comments:

  1. Damn that is a damn mess! I can only imagine her. Reading about this type of behavior just sounds so fictional like shes a jim crow character...like not even real

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good lord. the cell phone part was the worst.

    ReplyDelete